This product requires a check of customer qualifications. Click here to download qualifications form. TO ORDER, CALL: 800-897-3202.
Ages: 2 years to any age (if intelligibility is an issue); Normative data provided for Ages 3-0 to 8-0
Testing Time: 15-20 minutes (comprehensive); 2-5 minutes (screening)
- The third edition (formerly APP-R) is now norm-referenced as well as criterion-referenced.
- The HAPP-3 stimulus words and transcriptions have been "internationalized."
- Two screening components are included--Multisyllabic words and Preschool.
- Objects that conform to the choke-proof guidelines recognized by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission are now included in the HAPP-3 kit.
The Hodson Assessment of Phonological Patterns–Third Edition (HAPP-3; Hodson, 2004) is a valid, reliable, standardized test that is norm-referenced and also criterion-referenced. The HAPP-3, as well as its predecessors (APP, 1980; APP-R, 1986), was designed for children with highly unintelligible speech. Some major improvements include:
- provision of normative data and technical information,
- stimulus words and phonetic transcriptions that have been updated and internationalized, and
- comprehensive evaluation analysis forms that are larger and "user friendly."
The HAPP-3 Comprehensive Phonological Evaluation can be administered in less than 20 minutes. Objects and a few pictures are used to elicit 50 stimulus words. HAPP-3 results are used for
- coding and categorizing phonological deviations,
- determining severity intervals/ratings (mild, moderate, severe, profound) along a continuum,
- identifying major phonological patterns that need to be targeted (for goal statement), and
- obtaining scores for documenting treatment effects over time (for evidence-based practice).
The Comprehensive Phonological Evaluation Record Form provides spaces for
- summarizing analysis results,
- specifying consonant and vowel inventories,
- reporting stimulability information,
- determining the severity rating, and
- writing a goal statement.
Two screening tools also are included (12 stimulus words for each). The child's productions are transcribed, analyzed, and summarized on either the Preschool Phonological Screening Record Form (for children 2 years of age and older) or the Multisyllabic Word Screening Record Form (for students 8 years of age and older). The screening instruments, which can be administered in less than 5 minutes, yield results that help the examiner determine whether further testing is needed.
The Examiner's Manual includes explicit instructions for administering and analyzing the HAPP-3. Examples of the deviations are provided, and coding instructions are explained thoroughly. The manual also includes a chapter about phonological intervention principles and procedures. Tables for converting Raw Scores to Ability Scores and Percentiles (to qualify a child for treatment services when required) are in an Appendix.
COMPLETE HAPP-3 KIT INCLUDES: Examiner's Manual, 25 Comprehensive Phonological Evaluation Record Forms, 25 Major Phonological Deviations Analysis Forms, 25 Substitutions and Other Strategies Analysis Forms, 50 Preschool Phonological Screening Record Forms, 50 Multisyllabic Word Screening Record Forms, 1 Multisyllabic Word Screening Picture Sheet, 30-piece Object Kit , and 13 Picture Cards, all in a storage box. (©2004)