New product is on backorder. Click 'Backorder' to continue.
SAVE MONEY when you order all three levels of the STAR Program!
Use this comprehensive program to teach children with autism the critical skills identified by the 2001 National Research Council. The STAR program includes detailed lesson plans, teaching materials, documentation, and ongoing assessment. Students with autism and other developmental disabilities systematically master receptive language, expressive language, spontaneous language, functional routines, pre-academic and academic skills, social interaction, and play skills.
- Applied Behavioral Analysis forms the instructional base of this comprehensive program.
- Educators, paraprofessionals, SLPs, and parents will find the STAR program easy to implement.
- Lessons plans can be easily tailored to meet the needs of individual students.
- Student Learning Profiles enable educators to plan lessons for each student and document progress for IFSPs and IEPs.
- The manipulatives and blackline masters enable educators to use their time teaching rather than gathering materials.
- The Program Manual describes how to implement the research-based teaching techniques of Discreet Trial Training, Pivotal Response Training, and Functional Routines.
- The program meets the needs of students at various developmental levels with the three levels of the STAR Program.
Level I Complete Kit
Select this level if your student has difficulty following simple commands, has no or very little language, has behavior issues when asked to do a simple task, and may not interact with other children. With Level I, teach students to: understand basic language concepts.
- start to use verbal language to request desires.
- follow simple routines such as arrival to an activity area, departure from an activity area, circle time, or snack time.
- begin to participate in independent constructive play.
Level II Complete Kit
Level I Complete Kit includes: Color coded folders printed with lesson details; Black Line Masters book with reproducible forms, customizable lesson plans and student worksheets; Student Learning Profile (5); flashcards and photo cards; manipulatives; and a Program Manual covering all three levels of the STAR Program and a sturdy storage box.
Select this level if your student often follows some simple commands, but has difficulty with 2-step commands or more complex requests. Additionally, if your student uses only one word (or picture) to request desires, understands only simple nouns, plays only in isolation, and follows simple routines this level would be appropriate.
With Level II, teach students to:
- follow 2-step commands
- use multiple words to make requests
- use simple verbs such as “sleeping, eating and crying”
- learn the names of other children
- play interactively
- identify numbers, letters, and a few sight words
- answer “wh” questions.
Level II Complete Kit includes: Color coded folders printed with lesson details; Black Line Masters book with reproducible forms, customizable lesson plans and student worksheets; Student Learning Profile (5); flashcards and photo cards; manipulatives; a Program Manual covering all three levels of the STAR Program and a sturdy storage box.
Level III Complete Kit
Select this level if your student can use two or more words (or pictures) to communicate. Additionally, your student should be able to label objects, identify numbers and letters, identify a few words by sight reading, and follow most classroom routines with verbal directions or picture schedule.
With Level III, teach students to:
- expand vocabulary and phrase length
- use prepositions and pronouns
- read more functional sight words
- write with dictation and from memory
- read a simple story in a book. identify and use money
- tell time and use this skill with their classroom schedule
- add and subtract one-digit numbers
- follow more complex routines such as computer use, transitioning between locations and large group activities in and out of the classroom
- participate in school routines such as music, PE, lunch, and recess
- play interactively with peers.
Level III Complete Kit includes: Color coded folders printed with lesson details; Black Line Masters book with reproducible forms, customizable lesson plans and student worksheets; Student Learning Profile (5); flashcards and photo cards; manipulatives; a Program Manual covering all three levels of the STAR Program and a sturdy storage box.
Because most educators will use STAR in individual or small group settings where students skill levels vary, classroom needs will guide the selection of the levels and the number of kits needed. For those who work with lots of students, we offer 3-kit sets at a discount. You can buy one of each of the three levels (11210) or three each of Level I (11215), Level II (11220), or Level III (11225).
The STAR Program Preview DVD
Preview The STAR Program by ordering this 15-minute DVD. The STAR Program Preview provides a quick overview of the curriculum covered in the progra, including video demonstrations of lessons and detailed descriptions of the materials.