Test of Pragmatic Language–Second Edition (TOPL-2)
Ages: 6-0 to 18-11
Testing Time: 45 to 60 minutes
The Test of Pragmatic Language–Second Edition (TOPL-2) expands the original test for an even more in-depth and comprehensive analysis of social communication in context. Its four principal uses include:
- identifying individuals with pragmatic language deficits
- determining individual strengths and weaknesses
- documenting an individual’s progress
- researching pragmatic language skills. This updated edition addresses reviewers’ concerns with the previous edition, adding and improving on important components such as:
- Pragmatic Evaluation — focuses on a student’s ability to monitor and appraise the effectiveness of the response to resolve the social problem situation.
- Detailed IEP’s — addresses students with emotional disabilities, learning disabilities, behavior problems, Asperger’s Spectrum Disorders, language impairments, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders, and Depression and Anxiety Disorders. Includes goals, objectives, and progress monitoring.
- Clinical Interpretive Framework — allows the test user to see at a glance which components of the model are relevant to each item.
- Extended Norms — provides an assessment for all school-aged students up to age 18-11, allowing older students to benefit from an assessment of pragmatic language. Examines further the relationship between behavioral problems and pragmatic difficulties.
- Color Picture Prompts — aids in evaluation, clarity, and student interest in an easy to use easel-back format. Picture content has also been updated to reflect more accurately the environment of children and adolescents.
- Verbal Prompts — reflects more accurately the environment of children and adolescents.
- Comprehensive Scoring Guideline — indicates the components that each response measures, with multiple correct/incorrect response samples.
This test was originally designed for use by speech-language pathologists. However, with the ever-increasing emphasis on social skills and conflict resolution in students, the TOPL-2 test provides essential information for all team members: school psychologists, counselors, clinical psychologists, and special education specialists. These varied team members now use the TOPL-2 as part of a full individual evaluation and program planning, and were part of TOPL-2 development and norming.
Complete TOPL-2 Kit Includes: Examiner’s Manual, Picture Book, 25 Examiner Record Booklets for ages 6-7, 25 Examiner Record Booklets for ages 8-18, all in a sturdy storage box. (© 2007)